Monday, January 16, 2012

6'2" Gheenoe

I got the inspiration for this one from Larry Mabile's "Larmo Squash" design.  I wanted to shape something that blended the advantages of both a shortboard and fish.  The final dimensions are 6'2" x 13.75" x 21.75" x 15.75" x 2.88".  I pulled in the nose and tail, added a single to double concave with vee through the tail, a five fin setup, very slightly relaxed rocker (~4.5" in the nose), shortboard-style rails blended into a fishy foil distribution with a squared-off tail.

I also wanted to use this opportunity to test out new techniques and materials.  I glassed a resin swirl inlay on the deck and used automotive tape to paint the blue pinline over the cutlap.  The end result wasn't exactly what I had envisioned, but it is turning out pretty good overall!
 Resin swirl inlay with 6oz E-Cloth
 Deck laminate coat setting-up
Bottom after laminate coat

I chose to put the dark resin inlay on the deck because epoxy/EPS boards are more sensitive to extreme heat than the traditional polyester/polyurethane boards.  My personal thoughts are to keep the bottom of the board colored with lighter shades and the deck with the option to be dark.  Boards are usually either face down on the beach or submerged in the relatively cooler water when being used which leaves the deck and wax sheltered from extreme temperatures.  Just some food for thought for people considering color ideas with epoxy/EPS...

Ok, here is the final product.  Sanded hot coat down to 1500 grit.




No comments:

Post a Comment